- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced into 12 pieces
- 1c + 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp grate lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 c plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1 c sugar and 1/3 c water in a medium sized sauce pan. Heat over high heat until the sugar begins to caramelize to a medium auburn color.
Note: I pulled the caramel off a little too early, but you can see in the video how quickly the colors change. This is something that you have to watch and pull off at the right time.
2. Grease the cake pan with butter. Arrange the apples around the cake pan. Pour the caramelized sugar over the apples.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the butter and 3/4 c sugar. Cream together until the color turns a pale, fluffy yellow. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Then add the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest and beat until combined.
4. In a second bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Sift and pour in the bowl with the other ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined.
5. Pour the cake batter over the apples. Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until the cake has turned a golden brown color.
6. Take the cake out of the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cake pan on a plate and let sit for a minute or two. Lift the cake pan and allow gravity to do its job. If the cake sticks, shake it slightly to break the suction.
7. Serve warm.