I want to apologize in advance to my friends at The Other Side of the Tortilla for this unauthentic classic Mexican dish.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 eggs
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 c Easy Tomato Sauce, warmed (or jarred)
- 1c refried beans, warmed
- 1/2 c queso fresco (optional)
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a shallow frying pan over medium high heat. Put one tortilla in the oil and fry until browned, flip and brown the other side. Repeat with the other tortillas.
2. Place the warmed tomato sauce in a large bowl. Dunk the fried tortillas into the tomato sauce quickly. Place on a serving plate. Top the tortilla with 1/2 c of refried beans. Dip another tortilla into the tomato sauce and place on top of the beans. Repeat with the other set of tortillas.
3. Fry the eggs and place two eggs on top of the tortilla. Spread the tomato sauce liberally around the tortilla and place the diced avocado around. If you prefer, sprinkle the top of the dish with queso fresco cheese and cilantro. Serve warm.